A major UK vegetable processor with seasonal operation and intermittent high flows, chemical oxygen demand (COD) and total suspended solids (TSS).
The site had significant Mogden Charges (> £1 million pa) and issues with high costs from sludge handling and disposal, including significant tankering charges to remove DAF sludge from site.
– Rotary Screen to remove particles > 1mm
– Balance tank to handle peaks and troughs of daily production to allow a consistent flow of effluent to the DAF (Dissolved Air Flotation)
– Automatic pH correction and monitoring system to ensure pH of effluent reaching the DAF would allow efficient functioning of the coagulation and flocculation system
– Installation of a Dissolved Air Flotation (DAF) system using coagulant and anionic powder polymer via an automatic chemical dosing system
– A Decanter Centrifuge using a cationic emulsion polymer was installed to dewater the sludge coming off the DAF, reducing the volume of sludge to be removed from site